Amino tri (methylene-phosphonic acid)
1. Typical Properties:
- Appearance Clear, light coloured liquid
- Active acid 50% ATMP
- pH 1% solution <2
- Specific gravity 1.33
- Viscosity 28cs at 25C
- Freezing point -15C
- CAS Number 6419-19-8
2. Scale Inhibition Used to suppress the precipitation of compounds that can produce scaling in industrial equipment. DeCAL 9200 exhibits the ‘threshold effect’ where the product prevents precipitation of the scale so long as the DeCAL 9200 is maintained above a threshold concentration. Normally very low concentrations are required, usually less than 10ppm (as 9200 active acid). DeCAL 9200 is recommended for use in laundry detergents and industrial cleaning formulations. DeCAL 9200 provides excellent calcium carbonate scale inhibition and is recommended for use as a scale control agent in cooling water reverse osmosis and oilfield applications.
3. Sequestration: DeCAL 9200 will sequester or chelate metal ions. Sequestration is the ability of substances to form stable, water soluble complexes of metal ions. This property can be used to stop the precipitation of metals in industrial process. DeCAL 9200 is recommended as a sequestrant for textile dyeing to ensure that metals such as calcium or iron, contained in process water, do not precipitate onto the surface of the fabric. Addition of DeCAL 9200 also stabilises hydrogen peroxide solutions against decomposition due to trace metal ions. Hence the product finds application in textile and waste paper bleaching.
4. Corrosion Inhibition :The corrosion of metal surfaces in aqueous systems is a major problem in many industries. DeCAL 9200 will form a protective film on metal surfaces which interferes with oxygen reduction process normally associated with metal corrosion. DeCAL 9200 can be combined with other corrosion inhibitors such as chromate, zinc and polyphosphate to provide synergistic action. The addition of DeCAL 9200 to cooling water and oilfield systems provides the dual benefits of scale inhibition and corrosion inhibition.
5. Dispersion or Deflocculation: DeCAL 9200, like all aminophosphonates, will disperse and deflocculate mineral particles in aqueous suspensions. This action occurs because the aminophosphonates are highly charged anionic molecules which, when absorbed on mineral surfaces, exert a strong repulsive charge. Aminophosphonates such as DeCAL 9200 are more hydrolytically stable than phosphates (such as STPP) and therefore product more stable mineral slurries. They are however not as effective as polyacrylates (such as DeCAL 9200) for dispersing or deflocculating power. Combining DeCAL 9200 with DeCAL 9200 provides an effective optimised dispersant/sequestrant/scale inhibitor/corrosion inhibitor/ anti-redeposition acid. Devine Chemicals provide a range of formulated polyacrylate/amino phosphonate products.
6. Application: DeCAL 9200 is resistant to hydrolysis over a wide pH and temperature range. It may be utilised in its acid form or it may be neutralised with sodium hydroxide to form its sodium salt. Aqueous solutions of the sodium salt of DeCAL 9200 are available from Devine Chemicals Ltd. DeCAL 9200 finds use in the following industries:
- Oilfield: squeeze treatment, geothermal water treatment, topside treatment.
- Textile: peroxide stabilisation, dyebath addition, textile scouring.
- Industrial cleaning: detergent additive, acid cleaners, car cleaning formulations, railway carriage cleaning.
- Water treatment: cooling water treatment, boiler treatment, reverse osmosis, swimming pool chemicals.
- Mineral processing: deflocculation of slurries, ore flotation, cement retarders, sugar refining.
- Pulp and paper: bleaching of waste paper, peroxide stabilisation, de-inking formulations.
7. Product Handling: DeCAL 9200 is an acidic solution which must be handled with special care. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) must be consulted before using the material. DeCAL 9200 is supplied in 250 kg drums. We hope this information will be of value and if necessary we will be glad to offer additional technical advice. Please note that all our information is given in good faith, we can assume no responsibility for any liability incurred. Data and results should be confirmed by the Buyer by testing the product under its intended conditions of use. DeCAL 9200. Ver 0.0 02.01.04