Thickener and Rheological Control Agent
This product is activated in alkaline conditions by extensive swelling of the high molecular weight polymer to provide a thixotropic rheology useful in water based adhesives and textured coatings.
1. Typical Properties:
- Chemical nature acrylic copolymer in water
- Appearance white liquid
- pH 3.5
- Solid content 30%
- Viscosity at 20C 5cps Brookfield RVT 20rpm
- DeCAL 1030 is an ideal rheological control additive for water-borne adhesives & coatings. Use of DeCAL 1030 imparts formulation with a thixotropic rheology giving non stringy formulations easily hand or machine applied over a wide range of speeds and/or processes. Such formulations are ideally suited for airless spray applications.
- Optimal pH range for stability is 7.5 – 10.5
- Microbiological attack of DeCAL 1030 is low because it is a synthetically derived product. Therefore it is less susceptible than derivatives of cellulose. Consequently the paint formulator can substantially reduce the level of biocide leading to a broader area of application.
- Addition of rheological control additives should preferably be added at the final stage of manufacturing, not in a high shear stage such as pigment dispersion where unrecoverable damage to the polymer can occur . Thickener DeCAL 1030 is convenient to add as a post additive in liquid form thereby, offering flexibility in viscosity adjustment from batch to batch. Provided efficient mixing equipment is available DeCAL 1030 can be poured directly into the mix. However it is sometimes easier to add 1030 by diluting it 1:1 or even 1:2 with water to avoid shocking the system.
- Neutralising agent - should at any time the pH of the final system fall below 7.5 then add alkali to reactivate the thickening mechanism. Use of volatile alkali such as ammonia as improves the water resistance of the dry film. The amount of DeCAL 1030 required for optimum performance should be determined in trials covering a concentration range, although the recommended addition level is 1.0 – 3.5% based on total formulation.
3. Safety & Handling: DeCAL 1030 should be handled in accordance with good industrial practice. Detailed information is provided in the Safety Data Sheet.
View Safety Data